Here is a recipe for a delicious hearty chili made with protein-rich quinoa and black beans. It is easy to assemble and throw in a slow cooker. Finish it by topping with avocado and vegan cashew cream. This Vegan slow cooker chili with quinoa and black beans is perfect for a fall or winter dinner.
Vegan Slow Cooker Chili with Quinoa and Black Beans
- 2 1/4 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (sprouted quinoa)
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed OR 1 cup soaked and cooked dry beans
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (I like to use roasted tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Add the broth, quinoa, black beans and tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Next add the peppers, onion and garlic, and stir, then add the rest of the seasonings and stir a few times to combine.
- Set the slow cooker (Crock-Pot) to high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours
Serves: about 4
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 2 3/4 hours to 6 hours
Vegan Cashew Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews (cashews soaked in water overnight)
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- A splash apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Blend all the ingredients for cashew sour cream in a high-speed blender until smooth, for about 30 seconds, scraping blender once halfway in between.
- Serve on chili with your favorite toppings (avocado, chopped green onions).
Adapted by Angela Gustafson from Jessica in the kitchen by Jessica, 2014