Zucchini is abundant in the garden in August. Bake Zucchini bread! Yes, you will notice there isn’t any sugar added to this recipe. It’s not needed! Go ahead and add if wanted. I also doubled the amount of Zucchini and cut into chunks, then blended the wet ingredients, resulting in moist bread with an amazing texture!
- 6 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cups oil
- ½ cups applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 2½ cups grated zucchini (~3 medium-sized ones)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cups chocolate chips, raisins, or walnuts- optional
Grease two loaf pans.
- Mix together flax seeds and warm water.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl
- Add oil, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
- Add grated zucchini; stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients.
- Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything is incorporated evenly; some lumps are fine. If adding additional mix-ins, fold them in now. Divide batter between prepared pans.
Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before slicing.
Serves: 2 loaves
Adapted by Angela Gustafson from a post on the Hell Yeah it’s Vegan website, Claryn, June 2012