Overjoyed! Strawberry Rhubarb French Toast… Strawberry Rhubarb Jam… Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp… ♥♥
Strawberries have some of the lowest levels of sugar of any fruit, making them an ideal snack, they are good for cardiovascular health and they have such high levels of antioxidants that within half an hour of eating, they can improve your body’s antioxidant level! Rhubarb contains 45% of your daily value of vitamin K, high in antioxidants, is a great source of manganese and other minerals, and one cup of cooked rhubarb contains more calcium than milk!
Give this Jam a try (so simple)…..
Slow Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 3 lbs. fresh strawberries
- 2 lbs. rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar (I cut the sugar in ½)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Grab your strawberries and rhubarb and start cutting them into large chunks. The farm where we went strawberry picking sold rhubarb as well so it worked out perfectly for this recipe.
- Place half the strawberries and rhubarb in your slow cooker and sprinkle with half a cup of sugar. Then add the other half of the strawberries and rhubarb and sprinkle with the remain sugar and cinnamon.
- Set your slow cooker on low for 6 – 7 hours. After four hours of cooking, remove the lid but allow the mixture to continue to cook. This will cause some of the liquid to evaporate out.
- Around 5 hours cooking time, get out your potato masher and mash up the mixture as best you can. I like the jam to be nice and chunky, but if you prefer a smoother consistency then you could always transfer the mixture to your blender.
- Spread your strawberry rhubarb jam on toast or serve it warm over vanilla ice cream or add it to your favorite yogurt and granola.
Recipe by Lindsay Wilkes from The Cottage Mama
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 7 hours