Zucchini is abundant, peaking in summer months through August. This versatile vegetable helps aid in weight loss, benefits the heart, enhances eye health, strengthens bones and teeth and lowers cholesterol. There are so many ways to enjoy zucchini and one of my favorites is a savory Zucchini muffin! Give it a try!
Savory Zucchini Olive Oil Muffins
Quick bread is any bread that uses a chemical leavening agent (baking soda and/or baking powder) to make it rise, as opposed to yeast in traditional bread. When making a quick bread, typically the dry ingredients are mixed in one bowl and the wet ingredients are mixed in another. Water quickly activates the leavening agent, so once the wet and dry ingredients are combined, the batter begins to rise quickly and should be cooked as soon as possible.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups freshly grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil cups of muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, oil, and eggs and stir to combine. Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until muffins are lightly browned and spring back when touched. Transfer to a cooling rack until cooled.
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 30 – 40 minutes
Adapted by Angela Gustafson from an original recipe by C. Freeman, MS, CN, CHt, www.HypnoticNutrition.com