How about a quick, warming, delicious oatmeal recipe using apples and cinnamon? And you can prep it the night before!
Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Oatmeal
This recipe can be doubled. Just omit the baking dish and water and remember to grease the crock of the slow cooker well (or else the oats will stick). Mix the ingredients directly in the crock and cook for 7-8 hours. Great to pack into single-serving containers and just reheat by adding a splash of water for a quick breakfast.
- ¾ cups steel cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or other nut milk
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon organic brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon ground flaxseed
- inch salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- Chopped walnuts, honey, for topping
- Oil a ½ quart baking dish. Mix all ingredients and pour into baking dish.
- Carefully place baking dish inside the crock of the slow cooker. Pour water into the slow cooker outside of the baking dish so that it comes about halfway up the side of the dish ( it takes about 2 cups of water in a 6-quart slow cooker). Cover the cooker and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.
- Carefully remove baking dish from slow cooker. Top with walnuts or honey if desired.
Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 7-8 hours of cooking time.
Adapted by Angela Gustafson from Balanced Platter By Alta Mantsch, 2012