This vegetarian curry recipe can be cooked in a snap using the pressure cooker. It can also be slow-cooked if desired. It includes delicious sweet potatoes and protein-packed chick-peas (Garbanzo beans). Add more curry to suit your taste.
Chickpea Curry with Sweet Potato
- 1 tsp oil or butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Gala apple, diced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup mild curry paste or 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½-inch (about 2 cups)
- 2 Bell peppers of your choice, diced
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (roughly 29.5 ounces in total) or 2 (420 g) cans chickpeas, rinsed well and drained (roughly 29.5 ounces in total)
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes (roughly 28 ounces in total)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups spinach leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil or butter in pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden (about 5 minutes). Add the apple, ginger and garlic, and curry paste or powder and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the next remaining 7 ingredients. Close and lock the lid. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to stabilize the pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
- Release pressure, stir in the coconut milk and spinach and heat. Serve over steamed rice, naan or cauliflower rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Note: If slow- cooking, complete step one in a large pan and transfer onion curry mixture to slow cooker. Add next 7 ingredients and cook on High for 6 hours until vegetables are tender then stir in coconut milk and spinach.
Copyright 2017, Angela Gustafson, original recipe.